03 September 2013

The Silver Lining

Since this is my first pregnancy, I pretty much read everything I can get my hands on about the process. And it seems to me that I have had nearly all of the possible symptoms of pregnancy. This entry started out as Pregnancy Symptoms: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, but I figured people didn't really need to know that I was gassy for a few months (whoops, see what I did there?) I did think it was funny that my "The Good" section had only one entry: "My boobs are huge!" But anyway, what I really wanted to talk about was this:

One symptom that blindsided me was Round Ligament Pain. It feels like a stabbing pain and/or prolonged ache in the lower part of your abdomen. For me, it has been mostly just over my pubic bone and on the right side, branching out from around my ovary, though the left side occasionally twinges too. It generally happens when I change position or move suddenly. I've had other aches and pains throughout, but this particular pain seemed stronger and unlike anything else. I hadn't yet heard of Round Ligament Pain, so I ended up in the E.R. this Sunday, scared that something serious was happening.

After being jabbed and giving urine and having every test done, the doctor said she'd like to do an ultrasound to make sure I didn't have any ovarian cysts (I have a history of these guys rupturing painfully). She wheeled the machine into the room and started looking around in my belly...and I got to see Shrimpy! It was more detailed than I thought it would be - I could even see the faint outline of the face and the heart. The doctor said, "oh look, he's waving at us!" Sure enough, that little arm was waving from side to side. I instantly started crying...he/she was so tiny and perfect. Seeing that little baby made me feel like the weight of three months' worth of worry had been lifted off.

On the way out, the doc told me that I was likely experiencing Round Ligament Pain, to take some Tylenol, and come back if the pain worsened. I felt a little silly having been so worried, but the silver lining to the pain and the long E.R. wait was that I got to see little Shrimpy. Totally worth it. I know it sounds silly, but this whole thing didn't feel real until I saw that tiny, cupcake-sized person floating and wiggling around. I'm gonna be a mama!

Sadly, I wasn't given a picture, but I'll get one at my scheduled ultrasound in a few weeks. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Two rules: be respectful, and do not post personal information.